Monday, June 23, 2014

The continuing adventure of Neville (the Lone White Duck)


I  wrote a post last September about a duck who had appeared on our neighborhood pond.  He continues to strut his spunky white feathers all around the neighborhood.  In fact, just a few weeks ago traffic was stopped right where I needed to turn onto our one lane road, and as I leaned out to see what the traffic issue was, I saw Neville leading a group of geese across the road.  I felt like I was sitting in the midst of Make Way for Ducklings! I am grateful everyone stopped to watch the show.  Neville is adorable, but he doesn't waddle very fast.  

Neville's charming approach to life has kept my mind spinning and I am in the final stages of re-writing, critiquing and preparing the story of his arrival for submission to an agent and publisher.  I am hoping it will be a lovely picture book for young children.

It is intimidating to venture further into the writing world than I ever have before.  I am amazed at how quickly fear can thwart creativity, and how much the need to make a buck can do the same. I finally decided to look for a "real" job and keep writing.  I have supportive friends who are critiquing for me, and their support helps me feel brave enough to push send on the website for the agent I have as my first choice.  I hope to do that in the next two weeks.

It has been quiet here, as I wrestle with my own inner demons and the demands of daily life.  There are a lot of changes, some very sweet times, hours of basketball games, and the completion of my homeschool teaching career.  Our youngest is headed to school in the fall, and our second-to-youngest has graduated.  It's been a great and rewarding job and one that I know I will miss.  But there are seasons in life, and this upcoming season will be something entirely new for our family.  We are excited.

5 comments:

Skeller said...

How did we not discuss "C" graduating while you were here?!?!?!??? Exciting times! Fun to see a picture of Neville. I hope the publishing world LOVES him.

Pilgrim said...

Congratulations on your milestones.

LisaF said...

Good luck with the book. Just go for it!

buy youtube subscribers said...

I like this blog so much, saved to my bookmarks .

On the supplements said...

Greetings! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this problem. If you have any recommendations

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...